Saturday, June 9, 2007

Bicycling. Across the USA for Livestrong Day 0




Hello.




My name is Dave Moore, and I'm riding my bicycle across the USA this summer to raise money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. Our ride started on Sunday, June 3rd in San Francisco., and will end on Tuesday July 24th in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.




About 25 other cyclists will be riding across the country, and perhaps 20 plus more folks will be doing part of the journey. We will ride an average of 80 plus miles a day for 47 days, with 5 rest days in between (about every 8 to 10 days on average).




America by Bicycle is the touring company with whom we ride. Our tour leaders include Andy, a strong rider (and lovely guy) from Sacramento, who has led several tours; Michelle, our co-leader, surrogate mother, and ever faster-riding New Yorker, Gerard, our mechanic who also rides fast, fixes all kinds of bikes, and knows more music than Casey Casem (sp?), and Tom, from Indiana, who also helps with bikes, food, and tells great jokes (and others as well!). We're lucky to have these four staff members!




A little about me? I'm 48 years old, married to a lovely woman (Carol), father to a lovely daughter (Rebecca-Bekki), son to two lovely parents (Carey and Pat). Owner to three lovely pets...yada, yada, yada.




A family doctor for 22 years (including residency), I live in Gettysburg, PA and practice in Fairfield, PA with Dr. Andy Farkas and a lovely staff. A dedicated (if not fast) cyclist, I've ridden 2,000 to 4,000 miles each of the past five years. A cross country trip was planned with friends, but when they couldn't pursue it this year, I chose to ride with AbB.




My mother survived breast cancer, and my father-in-law died from esophageal cancer. I've also helped many patients prevent, detect, and "beat" cancer, but have seen many succumb to it as well. I've been inspired by Lance Armstrong, the 7 time Tour de France champion, who survived metastatic testicular cancer, and I'm raising money for his foundation.




I urge you to consider giving a tax-deductable donation to the LAF. You can do so by visiting my web page at livestrong.org/grassroots/davidmoore.




I hope you enjoy following the ride with me!

No comments: